Thursday, March 27, 2008

Good bye...

Today has been an interesting day for me to say the lest. Let me back up a little, about a week ago Evelyn, one of my little hair ladies, passed away, it was very sad to hear. Three months ago when we were doing her hair she started having a very difficult time breathing, so after much coaxing we called 911 and the ambulance came and took her to the hospital, she was having congestive heart failure,after spending a couple days in the hospital, her daughter was able to take her to her home to help her. It was really hard to see her lose her independence, she has lived on her own up until three months ago, she was 86 years old. I loved having her come each week to get her hair done, she always knew how to make me laugh, she was one of those people that anyone could get along with. Each week she would bring me a BIG chocolate bar (one of my weaknesses.) and it was just fun to visit with her. She was just like a grandma to me. Last week on Tuesday I did her hair and she wasn't feeling to well, on Saturday morning her daughter called me and told me that she passed away that morning, I cried and cried, (me being a little selfish) I wasn't ready to see her go, my Thursday's won't be the same, she will be missed!
Yesterday afternoon I received a phone call and it was Evelyn's daughter, she asked if I would mind doing her hair for her? Of course I wouldn't mind doing her hair, but I have to admit that I was a little apprehensive, I have never done this before. Last night I didn't sleep well, I continued to think about what it was going to be like doing her hair. Early this morning I went to the mortuary to do her hair, they took me into a large room, and at one end of the room Evelyn was lying on a stretcher covered with a sheet, from a distance she looked like she was just resting, as I came closer to her (I felt more nervous then I thought ) I looked at her and felt a reassuring peace that everything was going to be okay, I began to do her hair and found myself talking to her, and telling her things that had been going on the past week, it felt as if she was right there talking back to me. It was a good experience for me, it gave me a different perspective on death, and not just fear of death. I have always believed that there is a life after death and this has reassured me that it is true, and that when someone passes away it isn't the end, there life goes on and they are safe, as I felt this morning that reassuring peace that she was okay.
Evelyn I just wanted to tell you that I Love you and I will miss you so very much, you added a sparkle to my life and I will miss seeing you each week.

1 comments:

Shepherd Family ACALPM said...

Geez maybe I need to do a dead ladies hair... I have no perspective on death and tend to FREAK out about about it, mostly with a panic attack in the night time hours...No sadly I am not kidding...I am glad you were able to say goodbye though... I am sure even though you parted her hair on the wrongside she had perspective now enough not to mad at you! Maybe she is realizing that it looks pretty good parted to that side and wonders why she didn't think of that before! Love you!
Chantel